Jealousy and envy are both symptoms of pride. Today we look at some practical ways to free ourselves from them.
· Jealousy is an unhealthy desire for the things that someone else has.
· Envy is the desire to see the person deprived of what they have.
· Here are some practical ways we can try to work these feelings out of our heart:
1) thanking God for what that person has. This is so hard but so effective! When we express gratitude, we are preparing our hearts to receive new blessings.
2) praising and complimenting people. Without being disingenuous, we try to show that gratitude by complimenting the person.
3) use your gifts. Exercise your favorite talent. Help someone. Do something with what you have been given and you will appreciate it more.
4) challenge the lie. Jealousy is a lie that whispers “you can never have what that person has” or “that person stole what they have from you.” Both of those are not true. Rebuke that lie in the Name of Jesus!
· Try saying this prayer the next time you feel jealous or envious:
I am a beloved child of the Father and a forgiven sinner. My Father will provide me with everything I need. I have not been deprived of anything. Thank you, God, for what that person enjoys. Help me to be grateful for what I have and teach me why my heart longs for what I don’t have. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.